Wednesday, April 14, 2010

want your bad room-ance

Ahahahahaha.

Sorry... I am really too into our dorm draw shirts to be a completely healthy minded person. It just needed to be the title of this entry, ok?

So, as you all (or maybe most of you, I think) know, tonight was room draw for '11 & '12. As a dorm president, I help run this monstrosity and get a free t-shirt. (The aforementioned title was the theme of room draw, because it always has a theme. Need I say more?)

I have found, over this academic year as a dorm president, that there are certain skills required for this task, such as alphabetizing and counting competently that I was not informed of, upon taking office. Seriously, people, anyone who saw me struggling with those cards in the campus center a few weeks ago may indeed have been questioning my abilities to attend this school, let alone be a dorm representative, with a half-vote in SGA. (The other half belongs to my co-president, CS, with whom I generally tend to agree on things, so this has not been a problem.)

Anyway, room draw was actually pretty fun. Minus a minor mishap with trying to bring the white boards on the stage and alternately making snappy comments/getting snapped at, and a terrifying moment in which I messed up THE SACRED HOLY DORM COUNT and wanted to shrink to be this tall as everyone watched me fumbling with my dry-erase marker and trying to recover my dignity (and prove that I can, indeed, count to 30), it went pretty smoothly.

I drew into Denbigh, my first choice dorm, without much trouble, and will be living with most of my friends next year. I'm pretty excited, considering that I graciously took one of the last sophomore singles available last year and didn't really get to make a choice back then. It worked out really well - despite the general abhorrence and fear that I have found on this campus for Brecon, I've quite enjoyed my time here, even if I am ready to move back to "the main part of campus" next year.

I know that Denbigh isn't "the nicest" dorm on campus, but it feels like home to me. It was my freshman-year dorm, and it will always have a special place in my heart, simply because of that. It has pretty nice rooms, a great laundry situation, and is, after all "the rugby dorm" in which all of our Socials take place. My friends are located mostly there and next door Merion (and next-next door Radnor), so I'll be closer to them physically, and hopefully "emotionally," too, next year.

I'm excited. This semester has been a little rocky at times, but nights like this (not just room draw, but hanging out with my friends and blowing off some of my homework) give me hope for a really good next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment