Friday, April 30, 2010

about a party

Tonight, I "Party Host-ed" Brecon Prom, an event that hasn't been held in three years. There was a lot of talk about potentially having it, and as a dorm president, I felt obligated to do something about that. So I sent out an e-mail/survey, people responded and... I had a party?

It's funny, because I'm not much of a "party" person. If I'm going to hang out, I prefer to do it in a smaller group of friends I know really well. The only exception to this might be rugby socials, but even those it's my teammates and I feel pretty close to a lot of them. Point is: I didn't throw this party because I wanted to have a party; I was trying to do what the rest of the dorm wanted.

Honestly, I think it went pretty well. We didn't have a ton of people, but that's because I didn't advertise it super-heavily. Firstly, because Brecon can only hold a Level 1 party, for 30-60 people - and I didn't want half of the college coming to a party that they wouldn't be able to get in to. (I mean, not that half of the college has enough motivation to trek all the way to Brecon, when we can't even get a third of our sorry arses to Plenary... but I will save that one for another time.) Secondly, I thought people in Brecon would be more comfortable with a chill, "mostly-Brecon" party. And thirdly, Brecon Prom was described to me in the past as "a giant, naked orgy" (no, really. That is an actual quote. But I'm not naming my source.) and "really sketchy, with lots of sketchy men." So while I told everyone that nudity was ok, it was optional and not required.

I found out that hosting a party is a lot of work. Oh wait, actually, I already knew that from Rock Drag Ball, but it was more pressure this time, because 1) I didn't have the entire team around to back me up, and 2) it was a "wet" party, so alcohol does require more planning. Not only in terms of the preparation, but during the party especially to make sure that everyone is ok.

With the number of people who came (I'd estimate we had up to 45 on the higher ends of the night, if that), it was a lot easier to keep an eye on things. One of my other party hosts, MW (21-years old as required to have a party with alcohol) was really phenomenal. She was really available, on top of things and amazingly helpful. RB did a lot of work for the party, too, as did a few other people, to whom I am eternally grateful. I could not have done all of that by myself.

Glad it's over, though. And can't believe the chaos of this weekend - Prom Dress Rugby, Haverfest, May Day. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment